Each fall UMTA hosts several Regional Performance Evaluations across the state. Participation ranges from 250 to 400 musicians each year. Well-qualified judges provide insightful comments which should benefit each student and teacher who participates.
To honor the work of some of the best performers, judges select the top 20% from each region and age division and invite them to perform at the statewide Honors Recitals held annually in conjunction with UMTAs State Conference.
UMTA teachers are encouraged to send students with polished repertoire to the regional events in all playing levels from beginning to advanced. The public is invited to attend the UMTA Honors Recitals at no charge. These recitals provide an excellent way to see some of the best performers within each age group from around the state.
(Click for a printable summary.)
1. Solo Division: 1 or 2 memorized pieces.
2. Duet entries are allowed and may also consist of 1 or 2 pieces. The grade of the older student will determine the division entered. Original music is required for the judges, and if the duet is not memorized the performers must also use original music. Duets do not have to be memorized to be duly considered for the state honors recital.
3. NO piano concertos or two piano works. There is only one piano available.
4. Other (non-piano) instrumental and vocal entries are accepted and are judged separately.
NOTE: 20% of top performers (as determined by the judge) in each age division will be invited to perform at the UMTA State Conference, November 4 - 5, 2016 at Weber State University.
DEADLINES AND REGISTRATION
1. Click on the links for the Region Information and Registration Forms.
2. Fill out the Registration Form completely with all student information and accurate estimates of performance length. Please make sure all information is filled out completely, accurately and legibly to ensure that all certificates of participation will be printed accurately.
3. Mail only ONE CHECK PER STUDIO. Make checks payable to UMTA.
4. Mail completed Registration Form and Check to your Regional Chairperson.
5. Please adhere to all deadlines which vary from region to region. Most are 2 weeks prior to the event.
6. There will be NO refunds for cancellations or no shows.
TIME LIMITS & REPERTOIRE GUIDELINES
K-6, 7-9, Piano solo and duets, Instrumental/Vocal may select music from any style/composer including arrangements, with the exception of movie themes for piano solo.
Time limit is 7 minutes total.
10-12 Grade Solo Division: Baroque, Classical, Romantic, or Contemporary Repertoire (no arrangements).
Time limit is 10 minutes total.
College and Adult Solo Division: Baroque, Classical, Romantic, or Contemporary Repertoire (no arrangements).
Time limit is 10 minutes total.
Please make check payable to UMTA.
K-12: $8 per piano solo or piano duet entry (all regions only have one judge).
Collegiate/Adults: $12 per piano solo or piano duet entry regardless of region
Instrumental/Vocal entries: $12 ** Please email or call Andrea Bailey to inform her of how many students you have participating, and on what instrument/vocal part so we can know in advance what judges to arrange.
Judges will provide written comments as well as consider each student for the State Honors Recitals.
There will be NO refunds for cancellations or no shows.
** See Blue Box at the top of this page for all forms needed!**
All Registration Forms and ONE check per teacher must be sent to your regional chairperson.
Questions? Please contact Angela McBride, State Performance Evaluations and
State Conference Honors Recital Co-Chairperson.
Copyright © 2017 - Utah Music Teachers Association. All Rights Reserved.